Close Menu
Home / Blog / Drunk Driver Accidents / How Can I Pay for My Medical Bills After a Drunk Driving Accident?

How Can I Pay for My Medical Bills After a Drunk Driving Accident?


According to the Allstate America’s Best Drivers Report 2019, Port St. Lucie is the 14th safest driving city. Although this report shows that Port St. Lucie is the safest city for driving, several instances occur where the Treasure Coast community is not so safe for drivers due to drunk driving accidents.

Remember the Port St. Lucie news report from last year when a man was arrested for drunk driving and he told the police that his dog was behind the wheel? Fortunately, no one was hurt by this man’s negligent act. But drunk driving causes car accidents that result in serious injuries and damages to victims. For this reason, Florida law protects the victims and allows them to hold the wrongdoer responsible for negligent actions such as driving drunk.

Options for Drunk Driving Accident Victims

Drunk driving leaves victims wondering how they will move forward in life considering the injuries they’ve received and damages done to their vehicle. Drunk driving is a serious offense according to Florida law and the state does not tolerate it. If you’re a victim of a drunk driving accident, you have these options to help you gain compensation for the injuries you received:

  • File a claim with your insurance company for personal injury protection (PIP) coverage.
  • Hire a Treasure Coast personal injury attorney to help file a personal injury lawsuit.

Compensation for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents in Treasure Coast

Victims of drunk driving accidents have the right to seek compensation, although sometimes they feel defeated because their life has been knocked off track. But the State of Florida protects the rights of victims and offers fair treatment for those involved in violent crimes that caused them injuries. Now that we’ve discussed the options for pursuing justice and gaining the compensation you deserve, below is a list of the types of financial compensation a victim can recover:

  • Medical expenses
  • Loss wages from time off of work
  • Mental health and grief counseling
  • Pain and suffering
  • Disability allowance in the event you’re permanently disabled
  • Future medical expenses
  • Funeral and final or burial expenses for someone who lost their life

The Victim Compensation Fund

Additionally, the Office of the Attorney General’s Victim Compensation Fund helps victims pay for expenses related to a drunk driving accident.  To get compensation through this resource, you must apply and meet certain requirements. For example, the drunk driving accident must be reported to law enforcement within 72 hours and victims must not have contributed to the drunk driving car accident.

Were You or a Loved One Injured by a Drunk Driver in Fort Pierce? Call Sholtes Law, the Fort Pierce Personal Injury Attorney

If you or a loved one was involved in a drunk driving accident and are seeking financial compensation for your injuries, contact Andres Sholtes with Sholtes Law, PLLC. Mr. Sholtes is an experienced Fort Pierce drunk driving accident lawyer serving St. Lucie & Martin County with professional and personalized representation for drunk driving accident victims. Call 855-534-2509 for a free case analysis.


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Phone: 855-534-2509 / Fax: 754-220-9939
309 Orange Avenue Fort Pierce, FL 34950
55 SE Osceola St Suite 204, Stuart, FL 34994
1120 S Parrott Ave, Okeechobee, FL 34974

© 2019 - 2024 Sholtes Law, PLLC. All rights reserved.